Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fellowship of the Flowers - Week 5, a Bee and the First Project!

Hi ya! Well here we go into week 5 of the Fellowship. Woo hoo! I'm having such a blast and I hope you are too!

For more information on joining and photos of all the previous flowers, please click on the tab at the top of my blog.

I have a bunch to share this week. Are you ready? Let's go! :)


This week we have the Cone Flower!


This is the Second of 6 flowers which will be used in a project the end of February.


This week I used lots of French knots (especially for Selina) and some button accents.


I really love this flower. Remember, there are 5 flowers which will be used 10 times each this year. They will all look totally different and be used in different projects.


This week I would also like to introduce the Mr. Bee! He is the bonus pattern when you join the Fellowship. He will be making his appearance in many projects throughout the year.


If you purchased a kit from me, there is plenty of black wool, black polka dot fabric and plenty of hay bale wool for you to make all the bees needed. Of course, you can make them different colors if you like.


I embellished my bee with these.


Ok, now onto our first mystery project! As you know from my hint in my Monday post, I loooooove the TV show Downton Abbey! Here is Mr. Carson, the head Butler. Notice the wall behind him?


Well those are bells assigned to each room of the grand home.


Wires ran through the walls of the house connecting the bells with


bell pulls! Back in the day these were incredible pieces of needlepoint with a tassel at the end. On an episode the other week, Lady Mary got up, pulled the bell pull and the servant came to the room. She asked him to bring some tea.


Well let us fast forward to today. Here is my Folk Art Fusion interpretation of a bell pull.


I think Mr. Bee looks quite charming at the bottom of it.


I used buttons and beads as embellishments and even added tiny jingle bells to the center of the buttons.


I took the same yarn I used to couch around the flowers and braided it (two stands of green, one blue)


to couch around the edges of the hexagons.


Next was to decide where to hang it. I liked it on the peg shelf in my bedroom.


It did look rather nice in my foyer.


But in the end, I decided it would hang on my "Friends Door." Seeing as I live in a cottage and the only servant in this house is me to two little bunnies, I decided I wanted to hang it here to let me know when my friends arrived. I love the sound of all the bells when the door is opened.


So there you have it! I hope you enjoy making this project for yourself or as a "Just Because" gift for someone special.

Remember, friends who have joined the Fellowship will be emailed the instructions and supply list directly.

The bunnies and I would love to have others join us. Please spread the word!

Happy stitching and stay warm!
xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

26 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your new bell pull! Beads and buttons and jingles, oh my!

Christine M said...

Your bell pull is just lovely Shell. I love the cone flower too. xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

DANG you are good...as you were describing my favorite show (yes, I am too a fan!) I can see in my mind that scene when Lady Mary pulls the bell pull and asks for tea! But look what you created? Your own bell pull to alert when friends arrive...now isn't that clever?

Michelle, those sweet little buttons on your designs, how darling are those! Each design is so special my friend, and I again sit in awe. Bless you and have another creative day! Anita

Jeanette said...

Love the bell pull. Can't wait tk make mine. Hugs, xx.

Beth in NEPA said...

I was so excited when the pattern for the first project arrived. I quickly got to looking in my fabric stash and found what I think it right for my pull. Got it cut out, pressed and ready to go. Now just have to find some time to work on it. AND to keep up with the other projects. Hope I don't get too far behind!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the flowers you made, coneflowers are some of my favorites

Chickadee Sue said...

Love the coneflower this week and the bee is gorgeous!

KaHolly said...

Your bell pull is very clever. I'm gathering my supplies to begin a project from your book. I've been enjoying seeing your flowers grow!

Rosa said...

These flowers are gorgeous and your bell pull is super cute!

Heather said...

I love the bell pull, it will be a fun one to finish! I can't wait to get started on the coneflower, I love doing french knots!

Sheila said...

Your bell pull is delightful and looks amazing in your home .

Loris said...

Perfect! Such a sweet project for those wonderful flowers and handsome Mr.Bee...love him!
I am a huge fan of Downton Abbey as well. Love the pic of Mr.Carson :-) Great inspiration!

Sparklyjools said...

What a frightfully charming idea my dear. Of course, those television people were inspired by our our gracious home - and one simply must have a bell pull in every room to summon the servants. One would be lost without it.
(Yeah, right!!!)
Such a cool idea, and I looove Mr Bee.xxx

tink's mom said...

Love Mr Bee. he is sew special. Thanks for the much needed french knot practice toooooooo!
Great Bell Pull, such a creative mind.

jsews said...

Love our first project!
Of course I am a fan of the show as well! Can't wait to get sewing as soon as my wrist heals a little more. I so want to get started on the embellishments. Thanks so much for all your inspiration and encouragement. Stay warm!

Createology said...

Now the picture is becoming clearer. I adore your Bell Pull with Jingles, Beads and your lovely Bee. Lovely Cone flower with the tiny buttons. I too love Downton Abbey. How fun to be inspired by it. Creative Stitching Bliss Dear...

Barb said...

I love seeing your beautiful home and the accent you made for it is fabulous...as always...you are amazing.

kc said...

Well, I'll be darned. I've *always* wondered about how bell pulls came to be - ingenious! I love the idea of how you're a servant to the buns, I know how that can be! I'm waiting for my mistress to finish up her business outside, even as we chat here now....and I'm thankful that I don't have to BE outside, my own self!!!!

When I saw your LiveLaughLove wall dec over the door, I thought it looked similar to my own.....and I peeked at it...it's one & the same...see - I knew we were kindred spirits! Mine's over my pantry door in the kitchen, where I get to see it several times a day. I've only had it since we moved into this house - I'm pretty sure it's the first piece of wall art we hung...and still love it, a few years later. Hard to believe we've already been in this house a few years - must be why we both have itchy feet....it's time to move on!!

Loved your interpretation of a bell pull, and your stitching & embellishments are out of this world beautiful!! That hay bale & blue teal has got to be the prettiest of color combinations!!

Deb said...

Love the bell pull Shell and your bee is the perfect touch! I'll have to get stitching and make one up. And since it was inspired by Downton Abbey I will give it to my Mom since she LOVES that show! I just started to watch it this season and am already hooked. Just finished stitching your lovely pin kit that you sent with my Fellowship Of The Flowers fabric bundle. I love it and thank you so much! Deb

Raewyn said...

I love it Michelle, I cant wait to get stuck into this project, I think a bit of collecting of yummy materials will be on my list of things to do :-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

Shell I love this bell pull - just beautiful! blessings, marlene

StitchinByTheLake said...

Shell I love this bell pull - just beautiful! blessings, marlene

Little Miss Titch said...

love the bell pull Michelle it matches well in you home too,xx Rachel

jerilanders said...

Drat, I hate it when I type a comment and it just disappears! Oh well, Coneflowers and bees are favorites of the garden in my little world. I love the perfection of everything you design and stitch. I wish I had a bell pull to call the butler, " A cup of strong French roast coffee and a plate of scones, please".

Jindi's Cottage said...

What a great idea ... your bell pull is gorgeous ... hope it rings often ...

Carrie P. said...

oh, your door pull is so sweet. Mr. P. and I have just finished watching season 3 of Downton Abby. I am so mad! and sad how it ended.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...