Monday, June 16, 2014

Even books can reinvent themselves - The artistry of Su Blackwell

Hi ya! Today I wanted to share something I find to be truly enchanting. Like many people my age and older, I still have a huge fondness for books.


"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."  The other day, my friend, Lydia and I were talking about the first time we went to a library and got our library card. It was so magical. Growing up as a poor kid, the library was the best place on earth! I could get anything I wanted and it was FREE! Rows upon rows upon rows of anything I wanted to read. I remember one librarian questioning my choice in books. She said, "Those are a little old for you don't you think?" They were books on butterflies and animals and science. I guess it did seem odd for 6 year old to want these books, but I didn't care. I got them anyway!


Now today, while I do enjoy my magazines in digital format, there are many books in my collection that I will NEVER part with. I collect classic stories, wonderful children's books and a variety of educational and "coffee table" books. I can't imagine my life without them. I love the feel of the pages and the smell of the paper. I love being transported to a magical place. Unfortunately, as we hop gallop full speed ahead into the digital age, many books are being tossed aside and forgotten about as we, especially teenagers and kids, read from computers, tablets and phones.


                                          This illustration is from artist Kit Chase. (yes, I purchased it!)
 

However sometimes, just like for people, there is an opportunity to be reinvented. Sometimes all it takes is a someone who can look at things with a different perspective. A person who can still see the beauty and magic that exists in everything, but can give it a new purpose, a fresh start, a new light.


I would like to introduce book artist, Su Blackwell.


I found Su's work a few years ago and was mesmerized by her talent. She takes second hand, discarded books and turns them into art, which can once again be loved and enjoyed. Even though, the stories within their pages are now read digitally, Su pulls the magic from the actual pages. It is so beautiful and enchanting. 


She has created window displays for big stores,


scenes for plays


and countless other projects with her book art.

Here is a wonderful video showcasing a piece she did for Crabtree and Evelyn. I think you will enjoy it very much.



There comes a time for everything when you fall down a rabbit hole and are forced to reinvent yourself. If not, you will  be tossed aside, discarded and forgotten about. The world evolves. It's just as simple as that.

In closing, I would like to g thank you for your comments on my Friday post. I'm truly delighted it brought a smile to your face. You taking the time to comment brought a smile to mine. :) :) :)

Hugs and a most happy start to your week.

Michelle and the Bunnies

15 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh - My - Goodness!!!

Fiona said...

those are amazing.... how very clever...
Hugz

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Wow what a very very talented lady! These are incredible.

Erica said...

I LOVE books! I go through withdrawal symptoms if I don't have a book to read :-) I wish I knew who said this but alas I don't but I love it! 'You can't buy happiness, but you can buy books and that is kind of the same thing!' What an amazing artist!

Lesley said...

Her book art is fabulous! I too was an avid reader and couldn't get enough of books. Now I read books on my ipad, but for the summer I bought some "real" books to take out on the deck on. Sunny day. Love reading!

Tina said...

Oh my goodness!! What an absolutely amazing artist!! I too, love books and always have. There's just something about them (the smell, the paper, their feel??) that just cannot be duplicated electronically.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning my friend! I diverted from my usual early morning blog routine to go for a walk in the sun with the husband. It's another perfect day before we get another series of storms, scheduled for later this evening!

I saw Su Blackwell's art last year off of Pinterest, and I had dreams of doing such art myself. But the way things worked out (for the good), my beginnings will more than likely be writing, which is FAR BEYOND my own expectations of how I'd live my life. But it goes to show you how inventive the artist can be to lift words from a page and invent something totally magical. HAVE FUN! Anita

Lana said...

so much detail...and so amazing... The time it must take to do that...I just love it. I love the things you bring to us on your blog...amazing!

fran said...

Michelle, just wanted to let you know I have been watching your appearances on Quilting Arts. When I first saw you, I thought the bunnies looked familiar and then I rememberd that I have the BOM patterns for Harrington and Hannah. Haven't made it yet but it is on my list to do. I fellin love with your fusible Fusion book and Owl as I collect owls! I just purchased the book, felt, and threads. Orin will be the first project i complete. Thanks for reenergizing me and motifating me to get going. I was in a slump, but not any longer!! Thanks.

fran said...

Michelle, just wanted to let you know I have been watching your appearances on Quilting Arts. When I first saw you, I thought the bunnies looked familiar and then I rememberd that I have the BOM patterns for Harrington and Hannah. Haven't made it yet but it is on my list to do. I fellin love with your fusible Fusion book and Owl as I collect owls! I just purchased the book, felt, and threads. Orin will be the first project i complete. Thanks for reenergizing me and motifating me to get going. I was in a slump, but not any longer!! Thanks.

Rachel S-H said...

That is wonderful! People's talent overwhelms me!

Christine M said...

How amazing is Su's artwork! xx

Judy1522 said...

That is truly amazing thank you for sharing!

The Rabbit Factory said...

I love your first photo on the blog...what a dream nook to snuggle up and read by! Su's artwork really is amazing!!!!!

Little Miss Titch said...

oh that's beautiful,I know what you mean though there is something magical about real books,xx Rachel

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...