Friday, September 11, 2015

Celebrating a Day with Shannon Shirley

Hi ya! As promised, I'm back today with my post on my dear friend and fellow textile artist, Shannon Shirley of Once in A Rabbit Moon. 

Shannon and I became friends two years ago when I first visited the Cabin Branch Quilters. I was soooooooo excited to be able to take a few extra days and spend some time with her on this trip. She is an amazing person with so much talent! I am not only blessed, but honored to have her as a friend.

Shannon hosted a "Celebrate the Day" quilt challenge. As stated in her book "Celebrate the Day Quilts," "Fifty-three artists from seven states share 72 original wall hangings celebrating some of the random, lesser known holidays that occur throughout the year. These quilts represent only the tip of the iceberg because there are hundreds of random and sometimes bizarre holidays celebrated around the world!"

The collection has traveled all over the United States. You may have seen them at one of the large quilt shows. Lucky for me, there was an exhibit of some of the quilts at the Center for the Arts at the Candy Factory in Manassas, VA. We hand a wonderful lunch together and then went to see the exhibit.

Of course, this is my favorite day! September 4th, International Rabbit Day by Shannon Shirley. I told Shannon I wanted her to take her photo next to each quilt she made. 
 The entrance to the gallery.


 January 5th, National Bird Day by B.J. Titus


January 14, Dress up Your Pet Day by Ginny Rippe (I got to meet these pups when I was there.)


January 14th, Bald Eagle Day - by Cindy Sisler Simms


February 8th, Kite Flying Day by Barbara L. Scharf


February 28th, National Tooth Fairy Day by Bunnie Jordan

 February 29th, Leap Day by Shannon Shirley


 March 14th, Pi Day by Marianne H. Gravely

March 14th, Learn More About Butterflies Day by Shannon Shirley

March 22, World Water Day by Betty Jenkins

March 31st, Crayon Day by Kaye McWhirter

April 10th, Golfers Day by Jane W. Miller

April 22, Earth Day by Joanne Hawk


April 25th, DNA Day by Renelda Peldunas-Harter

April 27th, Save the Frog Day by Carolyn Perry Goins

May 1st, May Day - by Beth Wiesner

May 5th, Oyster Day by Allison Avery Wilbur


May 25th, Nerd Pride Day by Kathy Lincoln

June 2, National Bubba Day by Mary W. Kerr

June 4th, National Hug Your Cat Day by Shannon Shirley (The photo is Shannon as a little girl with her cats.)

April 26, Beauticians Day by Jane E. Hamilton

June 27th, Sunglasses Day by Kathie Buckley

July 22, Hammock Day by Denise Werkheiser

July 23, National Hot Dog by Jill Sheehan

July 25th, Culinarians Day by Morna McEver Golletz


August 1st, Sisters Day by Jill Sheehan

August 3rd, Watermelon Day by Carlene Halsing

August 12th, Middle Child Day by Shannon Shirley (This is Shannon's daughter, Emma as a little girl.)

September 1st, Emma M Nutt Day by Kathy M. McLaren (Emma was the first female telephone operator. Lily Tomlin was inspired to create her character, Ernestine, on Emma Nutt.)

September 22nd, Elephant Appreciation Day by Lisa White Reber

 October 2nd, World Farm Animal Day by Beth Wiesner

October 23rd, Mole Day by Deborah Van Wyck  (The mole is a basic chemistry unit of measurement if like me, you didn't know that. ;)

October 31st, Increase Your Psychic Power Day by Cyndi Sauder.


November 6th, Marooned Without a Compass Day by Vania Root 

I thought you might enjoy reading the description of Vania's quilt. 

November 9th, Chaos Never Dies Day by Pauline Davy

November 10th, Marine Corps Birthday by Michelle Carroll

November 11th, Good Cup of Tea Day by Shannon Shirley

December 5, Bathtub Party Day by Angela Robetson

December 6th, Mitten Tree Day by Paula Golden

December 12th, Our Lady of Guadalupe Day by Beth Wiesner


I hope you enjoyed the quilts as much as I did. You can see the rest of the quilts in the collection and read about the day, as well as, the artist statement behind each piece in Shannon's book. Shannon also encourages you to share special days that you celebrate. Hop over and give her a visit and tell her hi for me! Once in a Rabbit Moon

Have a fun weekend and I'll be back here next Wednesday (promise!) with some quilt caves!

xx,
Michelle

6 comments:

tink's mom said...

Such a fun trip through the calendar. Not to mention the talented artists behind the show. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Createology said...

So much fun in these quilts to honor holidays. Some took the theme literally and some had a twist to the theme. Every one of these quilts is amazing and created by very clever people. Thank you for sharing your friend and day with us.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Fabulous minis to honor a theme (note put into our guild program). Thank you for sharing.

Lesley said...

These quilts are marvellous! Thank you so much for sharing these great tributes to those special days!

Kris said...

Great, fun post, Shell!! I love all the quilts but I have a hard time believing these are all National Holidays!! LOL!!

Sparklyjools said...

I love how you have so many celebratory days, and the quilts are great fun. I'm putting Nerd Pride Day on my list for next year!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...